Triskelion Activities and Courses at Ackers Adventure
Fire Management and Safety for Education and Outdoor Learning
The course in a nutshell:
- One day programme
- Combines theory with practice
- Equips you with the knowledge and practical skills to run safe fire making sessions
- Encourages you – and the young people you teach – to think about the wider impacts and risks of fire lighting
- Certificate of attendance for each participant from West Midlands Fire Service
Who should attend?
- Outdoor learning practitioners
- Forest School practitioners
- Youth leaders
- Volunteers and anyone who teaches or supervise the use of fire in an outdoor learning setting
Why should you attend?
By attending this course you will:
- Refresh your knowledge of fire dynamics so that you’re better placed to manage safe fire making sessions
- Personal safety and managing risks when working with groups
- Identify small adjustments you can make to improve local fire making practice
- Deepen your knowledge of natural kindling and tinder
- Update your existing fire making skills, following traditional fire lighting methods
- Share ideas, information and experiences with your fellow participants
What will you learn?
- the facts about fire and fire dynamics including the fire ‘triangle’ of fuel, oxygen and ignition; flashpoints of volatile materials; how fires spread; hazard spotting;
- the dangers of wood smoke, especially to young children
- where to build fires safely
- which materials to use for tinder, kindling and main fuel
- how to select and use wood correctly
- how to lay fires correctly for different purposes
- fire making best practice: igniting, maintaining, controlling, extinguishing and dismantling fires
- how to minimise environmental impact when making fire
As part of the programme Triskelion will carry out an assessment of your organisation’s fire pit if the programme takes place on your premises. We will recommend improvements, where required, and issue a certificate to confirm that your fire circle or pit meets the correct standards.
Where does it take place?
We can arrange a course for your staff and colleagues at your own site or you can book a place on one of our training venue courses.
When does it take place?
We have dates available at our training centres for you to book on to. You can also select dates when you submit a 'MY request' item to run a course at your location
How much does it cost?
£650 for a recommended group of 10 - 15 at YOUR location (no VAT charged). Click 'MY Request' to generate an enquiry.
£65 per person at OUR training venues (no VAT charged). Use our booking facility to make a single or multiple booking